Fears for patients as Israel hospital raid continues

Connie Queline

Fears for patients as Israel hospital raid continues

UGC

The Israeli military says its special forces are still inside the Nasser hospital in Gaza as an operation against Hamas at the site continues.

Israel launched what it described as a “precise and limited mission” there on Thursday. The military says it has caught “dozens of terror suspects”.

Hamas dismissed the claim as “lies”.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said fuel was needed urgently at the facility to “ensure the continuation of the provision of life-saving services”.

The Hamas-run health ministry reported on Friday that five people had died at the hospital, which is in the city of Khan Younis, after the electricity generators went down and oxygen could not be provided.

These deaths have not been independently verified.

Nasser, which is the main hospital in southern Gaza, is one of the few still functioning and has been the scene of intense fighting between the IDF and Hamas for days.

  • Why are Israel and Hamas fighting in Gaza
  • Jeremy Bowen: Death and Israel’s search for “total victory”

On Wednesday, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) ordered thousands of displaced people who had been sheltering there to leave.

Tarik Jasarevic, a WHO spokesperson, said there were now reports that the orthopaedic unit had been damaged.

“That obviously reduces the ability to provide the urgent medical care,” he said, adding that there were still “critically injured and sick patients” at the hospital.

“More degradation to the hospital means more lives being lost.”

Nasser hospital’s director, Nahed Abu-Teima, told BBC Arabic that the situation inside was “catastrophic and very dangerous”.

Images, verified by the BBC, showed medical staff rushing patients on stretchers through a corridor filled with smoke or dust.

“Nasser Hospital, since they besieged it, there is no water or food,” an injured man who was displaced from the hospital, Raed Abed, told the Associated Press.

“Garbage is widespread, and sewage has flooded the emergency department.”

This video can not be played

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

The IDF believes Hamas has been using hospitals and other civilian bases as shields for military activities.

“We can’t give them [Hamas] a free pass, we have to make sure that they are pursued and hunted down,” IDF spokesperson Lt Col Peter Lerner told the BBC.

He said the military had been making “a huge effort to evacuate people from the hospital in order to get them out of harm’s way”, denying claims that civilians had been targeted.

The IDF said that among those it had captured at the hospital were 20 Hamas members who were part of the 7 October attacks on Israel.

It also said it had found weapons, including grenades, at the facility.

The military is also searching for the bodies of Israeli hostages which it said intelligence suggests might be hidden in the hospital.

Meanwhile, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said Israeli tanks were targeting the nearby Al-Amal hospital “resulting in very severe damage in two nursing rooms”.

They wrote on social media that nobody had been hurt.

Intense hostilities have been reported around the hospital recently. The PRCS said it was raided last week after some 8,000 displaced people and patients complied with an order to evacuate.

On Friday, they said that two doctors who were arrested during the raid had been released, while 12 other staff remained in custody.

Your device may not support this visualisation

Israel launched its military offensive after waves of Hamas fighters burst through Israel’s border on 7 October, killing about 1,200 people – mainly civilians – and taking 253 others back to Gaza as hostages.

The Hamas-run health ministry says more than 28,700 people, mainly women and children – have been killed in Israel’s campaign.

Israel is facing increasing international pressure to show restraint but efforts to negotiate an end to the fighting have not yet yielded any results.

A senior Palestinian official familiar with the ceasefire talks told the BBC that the gap between the negotiating parties was still wide and there were disagreements over many of the proposed provisions.

Senior officials from the US, Israel, Egypt and Qatar have been meeting in Cairo this week to try and hammer out a deal.

The official said that the main issue remains the disagreement with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over what happens the day after the war is over. The US want to rely on a strengthened Palestinian Authority, while Israel is against having a single administration in charge of the West Bank and Gaza.

Another disagreement is over Israel’s aim of completely destroying Hamas, which the US thinks will be difficult to achieve anytime soon.

The US is said to be trying to pressure the two sides to reach a long period of calm to make it difficult for the two sides to return to fighting again.

Related Topics

  • Middle East
  • Israel-Gaza war
  • Israel
  • Hamas

SOURCE

MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MLB MLB MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL MBL

Leave a Comment

MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL MlL